Sunday, October 21, 2007

Leonard Freed


This photo was captioned "ISRAEL. Jerusalem. 1967. Religious Jews at home in Mea Shearim." I thought the stance of the baby was just hilarious. The people seemed like such a cute and happy family in that moment. While their home appears very simple and plain, the photo conveys a family content with each other. I liked how their lifestyles was one unique to my own.

This photo was taken in 1988 of a refugee family. There is so much anguish on the faces of these women. The picture makes me very curious about the lifestyles they live. I wonder about the relationships between the people in the photo and on what level they interact. I think it is interesting how they wear minimal clothing and yet decorate themselves with jewelry and ribbon.

I really like Leonard Freed's work. I thought he captured moments from a great perspective. This first photo was captured "New York City. 1978. A policewoman plays with local kids in Harlem." I thought this shot was just so fun and innocent. It's nice to see a photo of positive role models interacting with children in a rough area. Usually the pictures taken in Harlem are not as pleasant as this one. It's so easy to focus in on the game and everyone laughing that the viewer easily overlooks the flooding trashcans and graffiti in the background.

No comments: